Sunday, July 27, 2014

Lucky Stars...Finally!

I joined the Lucky Stars Block of the Month club way back in January of 2013, when it was started over at Don't Call Me Betsy. I bought my fabric about a year ago-- a great gray with a honeycomb texture for the background and the "Fields of Iris" bundle of purple Kona solids. 


This quilt is going to be a gift for my mom (and my dad too!!) for their 35th wedding anniversary. Never mind that they just celebrated their 37th in May...they're patient. Well, between working full-time as a teacher, chasing after my two little ones, and other quilting projects getting in the way, this one has been a long time coming. 

Oh, and one small little detail--I didn't know how to paper piece. I figured that out with the Nittany Lion pillow I made recently for my cousin, and realized that it's really not as hard as everyone makes it seem! Since that pattern had 7 sections, some with up to 15 pieces for fabric, it was pretty complicated. If I could get through that one, I should have no problem with the stars!

So, I finally got around to making my first block today, during my Bug's nap. Here are the colors I picked for the first one:

Purple is my mom's favorite color, and mine too, so I just love looking at all these delicious shades and variations while I'm working!

I am thrilled with how this one turned out!


Here's my Instagram photo...

I can't wait to make some more. Before nap was over, I printed out the templates for two more stars and started choosing some combinations of purples. I think this is going to end up being one of my favorite projects yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment